Friday, September 10, 2010

Scenes from the Wilds of Suburbia

My very first attempt at a nature sketch.
This is the plant I was attempting to sketch. Not bad, right?? Anybody know what it is?
Logan took this one. All of these were taken on the trail that runs alongside our neighborhood.
Watch out for thorns!
How cool is this?? It's very viny and thorny back there.
Gypsy moth nest. I think. There were caterpillars in there.
Logan was enamored of the y-shaped stick.
Critter hole. We watched it for a while, but alas, nothing came out.
Towering pines.
The artiste at work.
Logan in a tree that I'm trying to identify. I know NOTHING about trees.
These are the leaves. Red maple, right? Or is it sycamore? According to my field guide the leaves are very similar.
And what's this tree, with the long pod-looking things?



As you can tell, I'm about as amateur a naturalist as you can get. But I'm enthusiastic and determined to learn! At the ripe age of 47, I am suddenly passionate about the ecosystem of the great state of New Jersey, where I've lived my entire life, completely oblivious to the local flora and fauna. Just goes to show, you never know when a new passion will strike, and it's never too late to learn. If anybody can help with identifying those trees, so I can properly fill out my nature journal, I'd appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template by suckmylolly.com